Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Today in training, they officially split us into our two designated groups: the ten Sales Consultants in one room, the four Information Consultants in the other. I felt like I was on "Survivor." Come to think of it, I want an Information Consultant buff to wear (preferably in a pretty aquamarine blue or jungle green shade). In the first two and a half weeks, we've completed the industry overview and Aetna product line as a class and so for the next five and a half weeks we're focusing our efforts on our specific job responsibilities as SCs and ICs. This may sound a bit ridiculous, but I felt kind of sad about the separation. I've come to respect each and every one of my classmates, and I truly look forward to seeing them every day. Going from a class of fourteen to a class of four is somewhat of a shock. I already miss the general banter, witty responses and engaging conversations that have consistently taken place in our "homeroom." We've spent about 100 hours together there since January 14th, and I've already created so many wonderful memories and experiences with these people...I guess I'm just not ready to let it all go so soon. (Obviously they are going to be right across the hall, but the fact that we will no longer be experiencing new subjects or programs together kind of hit me.)

As I packed up my nametag, various binders, notebooks and pens to move next door, I realized that the reason Ididn't see this coming is because I hadn't looked ahead on my training syllabus. I guess I was just happy-go-lucky and figured that we would continue to experience presentations, participate in activities and brainstorm together. I had gradually gotten comfortable with the setting--had picked out a favorite seat in the lecture classroom, loved my seating situation in the computer lab, and was overall just starting to feel like I fit and now I'm being moved. I know it doesn't really seem that drastic, but my happiness has been hard to surpass these past few weeks and I'm just hoping that the training will continue to exceed my expectations. So far it has been one of the most positive work experiences I've ever had. And I feel like I've made some very good friends out of the deal as well.

The good news is, yesterday I had my first informal evaluation with the four trainers. They said that I am doing "a fantastic job" and that they were very happy with my quiz scores (a 90.6 on the first one and a 92.4 on the second). The cool thing about the trainers is, most of them are in their late twenties or in their thirties, so it really is similar to talking to a colleague. They are professional and respectable, but also have a young and interesting edge that separates them from the usual manager type. I find myself responding really well to them, and I'm looking forward to working with them in the future. I feel so lucky to have landed in this position. I know that I deserve it, but I still can't help but feel that it's absolutely where I'm meant to be.

Wish me luck filling out my first RFI (Request for Information) tomorrow. It's an all-day task!

More updates to follow...

No comments: