Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ahhh, it's 7:10 p.m., the beautiful time when I can finally relax and stop thinking. This training--while I love it--does have the tendency to use up a lot of mental focus and brain power. In fact, so much so that I actually dreamed about health care plans and various medical terms last night because it's becoming so ingrained in my mind. Scary! (Although, come to think of it, there was an incredibly violent portion of my dream where I saw someone being shot execution-style in front of their house. Perhaps I should be more concerned about that? Yes, probably). Anyway. I love this time of the day. Everything is peaceful. The refrigerator is humming quietly, the heat is cranking slowly through the pipes and Jeff's not home from the gym so the TV isn't blaring with Hillary and Obama bickering (just yet). It's a nice segue from hectic to soothing.

This morning I heard the song "We Are the World" on the radio. That was my favorite song ever when I was six and I think I honestly wandered around singing it for months (my parents even have me on video singing it at Hubbard Park). It's too funny how I literally feel like I'm back in first grade as soon as I hear that song. It doesn't matter that I'm driving to work or that I'm "dressed for success" or that I'm married. The chorus belts out "There's a choice we're makin', we're savin' all our lives" and I am transported back to Meriden, Connecticut with my size 6x jeans, zip-up pink hoodie, matching pink Velcro sneakers, (fairly awful) blonde bob haircut and maybe all of eight teeth in my head, belting my little heart out. I'm grateful for the simple pleasures in life. I think I always have been. Feeding the ducks. My Care Bears lunchbox and matching thermos. The backyard turning into a frozen village after a freezing rain storm. Mom giving me ginger ale when I had a stomachache. Being allowed to stay up until 9 on the weekends and having a Pepsi. Going down the slide on my swingset.

When I have quiet time, I like to think back and reflect upon the experiences that have made me who I am. I know that I have come so far in many ways, but I also know that there are future goals I have to set. This year I have to focus on new goals to ensure that I continue to better myself...that I never become complacent or lazy in who I am. Life is how we define it, and I want to feel like I've enjoyed as many moments of as many days as possible.

No comments: