Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I've been feeling less than adequate these days. Well, maybe I should rephrase that. I feel very adequate in most aspects of my life, but when it comes to my education and future career, I am completely uncertain. Currently, my brother and his girlfriend are studying for their MBAs at Wake Forest (they are 3 years younger than I am), Jeff is working towards his Master's degree through Pfizer and Temple University, and most of the people who received a Connecticut Teaching Certificate are doing just that: they're teaching. Meanwhile, I am merely floundering around trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. It just doesn't seem right. I have a decent degree and lately I've been hearing stories about people with lower-level degrees earning almost twice as much as I do. Sometimes it seriously brings me to tears of frustration. I don't know what else to do. I am tired of working so hard and yet feeling like I have nothing to show for it. I am sick of wearing the same four outfits because most of my clothes hang off me and yet I can't afford to buy new, cute and professional ones. I am 27 and I guess I always thought that by this age I would be making a real living with a career that I could be proud of. And it's not to say that I don't care about and appreciate what I do--because I still understand and strive to fulfill the mission--but I am smarter than this. I can do more than this. I want to make a difference...and I'm just not sure how to go about doing it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I can definitely relate to this. For me a lot of it comes down to wondering whether I really am dissatisfied or whether I am looking at it all wrong and I'd be dissatisfied no matter what I was doing. And what if make some huge change and am still the same amount of dissatisfied? (I'm not saying that's you--that's just me.) But anyway, I feel you.

Heather Coddington said...

i feel your pain. hang in there though - i think you make a huge difference just by being you and being such a big part of your friends' lives. i know that doesn't always feel like enough, but it's definitely significant to us. i have no doubt that one day something will just click for you.